2011 Thrash & Dangle Fest
April 16, 2011
Presented by the Phoenix Rock Gym.
The comp was limited to the first 100 people, where we actually had 125 competitors total.
Also 93 Sponsors total.
$30.00 to enter
Thrashers: (Elite) cash prizes
Male and female, 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $50
Danglers (Age) mfg prizes
Age breakdown: male and female, 0-10, 11-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
3 hour competition: 6pm - 9pm Saturday
Award ceremony: 9pm - 10pm
Top 7 boulder problems for score
Competitors receive competitor packets filled with tons of coupons, stickers and mfg schwag when they first register for the comp on comp day.
T-Shirts were made but just for the comp staff.
- Balance Beam ( Austin Nawrocki 4.44 seconds )
- Blindfold ( Michael Beyer 9.35 seconds )
- One Arm Climbing ( Michael Beyer 12.47 seconds )
- Rope Climb ( Nicholas Oxentenko 11.05 seconds )
- Two Person ( Michael Beyer / Michael Elias 12.22 seconds )
- Spinner Route (Harison Frawley 28.46 seconds )
- Crab Walk Route (Nicholas Oxentenko 32.53 seconds )
- Blacksmith Route (Michael Beyer 7.68 seconds )
All competitors gain raffle tickets for completing the side events. Fastest time for each side event received a prize and sometimes a trophy.
Side Event raffles only included the competitors that entered that individual side event.
First to sign up: ( John Corcoran )
Oldest - Golden Piton ( Jim Zahn )
Youngest - ( Ferrin Goldstein )
Worst score - ( Ferrin Goldstein )
Comp Director and Artwork - Marty Karabin
Sponsors - Marty Karabin and Robert Olson
Master of Ceremonies - Robert Olson
Prizes - Marty Karabin
- Robert Olson
- Justin Wagner
- Erin Orwig
Music energy - Giorgio Mosesso
- Justin Wagner (lead course setter)
- Joe Czerwinski
- Marty Karabin (side events)
- Giorgio Mosesso
- Jeremy Cox
- Robert Olson
147 boulder problems were set
Sponsor booths at the Fest:
- Emma’s Custom Chalkbags
- Climb X Gear
- Ape Index Climbing Gym
- Vitamin Water
- Helix Products
Singing the National Anthem - Simona Olson
Massage tables - Amber Massage
Catered food - Boulders On Broadway
Raffle boulder problem sponsors:
- Red Bull (5.8)
- Evolv shoe’s (V0-)
- Four Peaks Brewery (V0)
- Three Ball Climbing (V1)
- So ill Holds (V4)
- Planetary Climbing (V6)
Only the climbers that complete the sponsored boulder problems get into that individual raffle.
T-Shirts and ribbons made by MK Productions
Media flyers made by MK Productions
Score card and graphs made by Justin Wagner
Metal plates as gifts to sponsors made by Paul Diefenderfer
Cash Pad Raffle - 1/2 monies and crash pad goes to the raffle ticket winner, 1/2 monies goes to the Access Fund. This raffle is allowed for everybody who attended the comp, not just the competitors.
$ ………. received total - divided by 2
Shout out for as many crash pads as we can get from people. Climbmax gym let us use their large pads for the highball area. Milk crates podium used for three step award ceremony. Ribbon Girl hands out ribbons to the winners at the award ceremony.
Best overall score:
Male - Minko Nikolov, age 23
Female - Kelly Birch, age 16
For the award ceremony tons of hats, chalk bags, stickers, shirts etc were thrown out to the competitors.
This 2011 T&D competition story is shown in the forum on the Mountain Projects website
PRG logo magnets. Original design made by Chris Raypole Climbing Dynamics. Letters were etched in by Marty. Recasted by William Haeberle Uprox Holds
T&D 2011 COMP NOTES:
The 2011 T&D comp was totally awesome!!
For this comp we added two new Side Events:
- The Crab Walk - 30’ rope climb: The climber faces outward as they climb while their back faces the wall.
- The Blacksmith Route - 30’ rope climb: Climber climbs a route made of metal holds while wearing oven mitts. Some of the metal holds were made by Justin, some were from Marty’s personal collection of antique mining equipment, and a few were blacksmithed by Paul Diefenderfer.