2013 Thrash & Dangle Fest
April 20, 2013
Presented by the Phoenix Rock Gym
The comp was limited to the first 100 people, where we actually had 116 competitors total.
Also 95 Sponsors total. WOW!!
$45.00 to enter
Thrashers: (Elite) cash prizes
Male and female, 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $50
Danglers (Age) mfg prizes
Age breakdown: male and female, 0-10, 11-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
3 hour competition: 6pm - 9pm Saturday
Award ceremony: 9pm - 10pm
Top 7 boulder problems for score
Competitors receive competitor packets filled with tons of coupons, stickers and mfg schwag when they first register for the comp on comp day.
T-Shirts were made but just for the comp staff.
- Balance Beam ( Dakota Snider 5.2 seconds )
- Blindfold Route ( No award for time, just raffle ticket gained )
- Rope Climb ( Jesse Johnston 10.1 seconds )
- Blacksmith Route (Patrick Maclane 7.8 seconds )
- Black and Blue Route ( NEO 14.8 seconds )
- Spinner Route ( No award for time. Just 2 raffle tickets gained )
- Four Peaks Obstacle Course (Taylor Lais 16.5 seconds )
All competitors gain raffle tickets for attempting side events. Fastest time for timed side events received a prize and sometimes a trophy.
Side Event raffles only included the competitors that entered that individual side event.
First to sign up: ( Byron Layhee )
Oldest - Golden Piton ( Wes Gross, age 63 )
Youngest - ( Phoebe Anderson, age 5 )
Lowest score - ( Christian Sulit )
Karabin Climbing Museum items guess -
Actual 710 Tnuts- (NEO guessed 714 items )
Comp Director and Artwork - Marty Karabin
Comp Director and Master of Ceremonies - Robert Olson
Prizes - Robert Olson
- Marty Karabin
- Erin Orwig
- Jeremy Cox
Music energy - Justian Productions
- Justin Wagner (lead course setter)
- Cody Abernathy
- Ian Renteria
- Harison Frawley
- Marty Karabin (side events)
134 boulder problems set
Sponsor booths at the Fest:
- Team Rock Phenoms
- Stone Crush Gear
- Dutch Brothers Coffee
- Thrive Climbing
- David Sampson
Singing the National Anthem - Simona Olson
Ribbon Girl - Katherine Martin
Catered food - Hungry Howies Pizza
T-Shirts and ribbons made by MK Productions
Media flyers made by MK Productions
Scorecard and graphs made by Justin Wagner
Wood Awards made by Paul Diefenderfer given to every First Place winner.
Raffle boulder problem sponsors:
- Zen Lizard Systems
- Three Ball Climbing
- Fit Zone
- Thrive Climbing
- Planetary Climbing
- Evolv Shoes ( 5.10- ) TR
Only the climbers that complete the sponsored boulder problems get into that individual raffle.
Cash Pad Raffle - 1/2 monies and crash pad goes to the raffle ticket winner, 1/2 monies goes to the Access Fund. This raffle is allowed for everybody who attended the comp, not just the competitors.
$ 500.00 received total - divided by 2
Shout out for as many crash pads as we can get from people.
Ribbon Girl hands out ribbons to the winners at the award ceremony
Milk crates podium used for three step award ceremony.
Best overall score:
Male - Daniel Beall, age 24
Female - Hannah Tolson, age 15
For the award ceremony tons of hats, chalk bags, stickers, shirts etc were thrown out to the competitors.
Michelle Abshire - Just Fab Photography
T&D 2013 COMP NOTES:
The 2013 T&D comp was totally awesome!!
- Rope Route now has a 1/2 way bonus so two raffle tickets it is now worth. In many of the comps competitors attempted to climb the 30’ tall rope but could not reach the top. So we decided to give a raffle ticket for 1/2 way, and a second ticket for the top.
- Spinner Route Side Event, now has 1/2 way bonus. Many