2014 Thrash & Dangle Fest
April 19, 2014
Presented by the Phoenix Rock Gym
The comp was limited to the first 100 people, where we actually had 112 competitors total.
Also 94 Sponsors total. WOW!!!
$45.00 to enter
Thrashers: (Elite) cash prizes
Male and female, 1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $50
Danglers (Age) mfg prizes
Age breakdown: male and female, 0-10, 11-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50+
3 hour competition: 6pm - 9pm Saturday
Award ceremony: 9pm - 10pm
Top 5 boulder problems for score
Competitors receive competitor packets filled with tons of coupons, stickers and mfg schwag when they first register for the comp on comp day.
T-Shirts were made but just for the comp staff.
- Balance Beam ( Will Hoppe 6.29 seconds )
- Blindfold Route (not a timed event, just raffle ticket gained)
- Blacksmith route (not a timed event, just raffle ticket gained)
- Rope Climb ( Eric Ebele 12.3 seconds )
- Two Person Route (Ryan Wurm/Matt Diestelmecer 14.27 seconds)
- Spinner Route ( Eric Ebele 16.0 )
- Four Peaks Obstacle Course (Dustin Martin 17.21 seconds )
All competitors gain raffle tickets for attempting side events. Fastest time for timed side events received a prize and sometimes a trophy.
Side Event raffles only included the competitors that entered that individual side event.
First to sign up: ( David Anaya )
Oldest - Golden Piton ( Jim Zahn, age 58 )
Youngest - ( Ella Fisher, age 7 )
Lowest score - ( Veronica Nellis )
Karabin Climbing Museum items guess -
Actual 178 bolt hangers- (Michelle Abshire guessed 173 items )
Comp Director and Artwork - Marty Karabin
Comp Director and Master of Ceremonies - Robert Olson
Prizes - Robert Olson
- Marty Karabin
- Erin Orwig
Music energy - Justian Productions
- Justin Wagner (lead course setter)
- Cody Abernathy
- Katherine Martin
- Jeremy Cox
- Ian Renteria
- Megan Rowtan
- Tarek Firzli
- Erin Orwig
- Marty Karabin (side events)
123 boulder problems set
Sponsor booths at the Fest:
- Team Rock Phenoms
- Dutch Brothers Coffee
- Three Ball Climbing
- Kind Bar
- World Stretch
- Regenerous Designs
- Pete Rueck
Singing the National Anthem - Katherine Martin
Ribbon Girl - Katherine Martin
Catered food - Hungry Howies Pizza
T-Shirts and ribbons made by MK Productions
Media flyers made by MK Productions
Score card and graphs made by Justin Wagner
Wood Awards made by Paul Diefenderfer given to every First Place winner.
Raffle boulder problem sponsors:
- Planetary Climbing
- Zen Lizard Systems
- Three Ball Climbing
- Fit Zone
- Dutch Brothers
- Dark Star Climbing
Only the climbers that complete the sponsored boulder problems get into that individual raffle.
Cash Pad Raffle - 1/2 monies and crash pad goes to the raffle ticket winner, 1/2 monies goes to the Access Fund. This raffle is allowed for everybody who attended the comp, not just the competitors.
$ 752 received total - divided by 2
Shout out for as many crash pads as we can get from people.
Ribbon Girl hands out ribbons to the winners at the award ceremony
Milk crates podium used for three step award ceremony.
Best overall score:
Male - Jack Lester, age 22
Female - Hannah Tolson, age 16
For the award ceremony tons of hats, chalk bags, stickers, shirts etc were thrown out to the competitors.
Additional thanks to the staff and volunteers that helped make this T&D event totally awesome!!!
Scorecard designed by Justin Wagner
T&D 2014 COMP NOTES:
The 2014 T&D comp was totally awesome!!!
- For the past T&D comps the competitors would write in the point values of the boulder problems they successfully climbed on the scorecard. The scores would be rechecked previous to the award ceremony. Due to some final discrepancies, the boulder problem point values were now added to the scorecard where competitors would circle the correct points they received from their climbs so there would be no mistake on the final scorecard mathematics.
- 2014 is the first year we had to enforce that the competitors had to lock in their decision if they were competing in the Elite